Monday, February 15, 2010

The Trouble with Wilderness part duex

When I read the assignment, I misunderstood it, so I will finish it now...
Cronon's explanation of his concept of nature is explained thoroughly. His theory that nature would be more natural with people in it, not lacking people makes sense to a point, but not all natural places had people to begin with. Where he loses me is when he says that "we" enjoy nature because it shows a simpler time. I don't agree. Who are "we"? Cronon does not specify who is who in his essay. I had a hard time deciding if he was telling us that if we are part of the problem or part of the solution. Does the problem have something to do with more people than ever live in cities and use the faux-wilderness as a release for stress and make themselves feel better? Conversely, do country folk not need to relieve stress and enjoy the wild because they work the land and that is their reality?
This essay did make me think a little more about how I view wilderness areas. I have hiked through Desolation Wilderness near Lake Tahoe and worked in the forest during the summers. It never really dawned on me that there were people that lived there hundreds of years prior. We also couldn't wait to see wildlife, but when it got up close we would curse it and run away (i.e. a bear or mountain lion). So would going green help us realize nature is around us? Maybe it is one of many solutions we can find.

1 comment:

j said...

Great follow up, T, and thanks for taking a lead in class discussion.